The Site for Home Theater and Movie Reviews
Study Says Web-Connected HDTVs to Hit 650 Million by 2017
Recently, we took a peek at all of the new HDTVs coming this year. (See all of our 2012 Buyers Guides listed below.) When it comes to features, the most popular perk seems to be web connectivity. If you're not in the market for a new TV, there are still plenty of ways to get connected, via a web-enabled Blu-ray player, set-top box or game console.
No matter how people are connecting, the point is -- they are connecting. At least that's what new numbers from Juniper Research are stating. In Smart Home Ecosystem: Connected Devices, Service Models & Revenues 2012-2017, the research firm says that content services, such as Netflix and YouTube, have consumers clamoring for connected TVs. If the trend continues, we can expect to see the number of web-connected HDTVs hit almost 650 million by 2017.
Having that connectivity will boost revenue in other areas of the electronics world as well. Juniper Research says that smart-home revenues will reach about $25 billion by the end of this year, only to jump to $60 billion by 2017.
"The consumer electronics industry along with key players, such as the content aggregators and platform providers, needs to clearly define this device ecosystem and start working towards driving this phase of growth and turn it into a revenue opportunity," said Juniper Research's Nitin Bhas.
U.K.'s Rapid TV News added that falling equipment prices are helping to fuel the fire, saying that the cost will continue to drop over the next five years as " the value of connectivity will rise."
Also Check Out:
- Active 3D TV Buyers Guide for 2012 (Plasma, LED, DLP)
- Passive 3D TV Buyers Guide for 2012
- Plasma TV Buyers Guide for 2012
- LED TV Buyers Guide for 2012
- LCD TV Buyers Guide for 2012
What do you think?
- Home Theater
- Ask The Expert
- Blu-ray, DVD Players
- DVD Recorders, DVR, PVR
- HDTV, Televisions, Projectors
- Home Theater in a Box (HTiB)
- Media Players, HTPC
- Preamps, Amps, Processors
- Satellite Radio
- Receivers, Switchers
- Universal Remotes
- How To
- News and Show Reports
- MartinLogan, Paradigm and Anthem Jump on DTS Play-Fi Bandwagon for Wireless Whole Home Audio
- VIZIO S5451w-C2 54-inch Sound Bar with Surround Speakers Review
- How to Build an Outdoor Home Theater for Around $1,500
- When Will We See Dolby Atmos on Blu-ray Disc? Sooner Than You Might Think
- Denon, Marantz Showcase Receivers and Processors with Dolby Atmos at CEDIA Expo