The Site for Home Theater and Movie Reviews
3D HDTV (3DTV) Expected to Dominate CES 2010 with Solutions from Myriad Manufacturers
It sounds like 3D will be the must-see technology at this year's Consumer Electronics Show.
The show, which kicks off later this week in Las Vegas, is our window to some of the fun little tech items we expect to see on shelves later this year. Of course, there should be plenty of teases, but also enough to keep us entertained and on the couch for the coming year.
According to the Consumer Electronics Association, 3D will hog a lot of this year's spotlight. The organization is creating a huge buzz about it, saying that everything from HDTV displays to Blu-ray players to other 3D solutions should be on display. They're even planning an entire "CES is the Experience 3D TechZone." This spot on the showfloor will include more than 10 companies tantalizing with some type of 3D wares. Those should include:
- Movies to showcase the just-finalized Blu-ray 3D standard
- Prototype 3D Blu-ray players
- 3D games
- 3D software
- 2D-to-3D real-time and offline video processing
- Technology to convert HD broadcasts to 3D
- 3D still images that do not require special glasses
With all of the hype, we're expecting to see this market blow up bigger than the iPod. We're already hearing about plenty of 3D accessories, including screens and glasses.
We're not sure who will be showing what, but all of that (and more!) should be announced throughout the week. The CEA will even publish a guide titled, Guide to 3D@CES, which will be available for download starting this Thursday. Of course, also stay tuned for Big Picture Big Sound's coverage, which will include all of the 3D goodies we leave our drool-prints on during the show.
What do you think?
- Home Theater
- Ask The Expert
- Blu-ray, DVD Players
- DVD Recorders, DVR, PVR
- HDTV, Televisions, Projectors
- Home Theater in a Box (HTiB)
- Media Players, HTPC
- Preamps, Amps, Processors
- Satellite Radio
- Receivers, Switchers
- Universal Remotes
- How To
- News and Show Reports
- Denon Unveils New AVR-X7200W Flagship A/V Receiver with Dolby Atmos and AURO-3D Processing
- First Peek at JVC's 85-inch DM85UXR 4K UHDTV
- HDTV Deals: Samsung Black Friday LED TV Prices Go Live Early on Amazon
- HiFiMAN Unveils RE300 and RE400i In-Ear Headphones and EF100 Amplifier
- Warner Bros. to Release Gravity Diamond Luxe Blu-ray with Dolby Atmos